Awaken the Thunder Dragon
Uncover the mysteries of the sacred valleys in the heart of the Kingdom of Bhutan – a deeply Buddhist land shrouded in mystery and magic…
This 12 day tour takes in the culture of the cities of Paro and Thimpu; and explores the high passes and deep valleys of Phobjikha, Punakha and Bumthang.
- From the Dochula pass, at over 10,000ft, capture panoramic views of the high snowcapped peaks of the Bhutanese Himalayas
- Walk through rice fields to Chhimi Lhakhang, a temple of fertility founded in the 15th century by a monk known as the Divine Mad Man! Learn all about the colourful history of this unconventional monk.
- Visit Trongsa Dzong built in 1648. This commanding dzong is perched on the top of a ridge with a sheer drop to the south that often just disappears into cloud and mist.
- Climb to the Tiger’s Nest Monastery – miraculously perched on the side of a sheer cliff 900m above the floor of the Paro valley. The trail follows an ancient path marked by river-powered prayer wheels with incredible views. Within the monastery is the cave where the legendary saint Guru Rinpoche meditated; an oil lamp chapel; and a holy spring.
- Lace up your walking boots for a four to five hour hike from Tharpaling Monastery to the Kikila Pass. Take in the spectacular views of mountains and valleys dotted with prayer flags.
- Explore Phobjikha, a beautiful bowl-shaped glacial valley on the western slopes of the Black Mountains and an important wildlife preserve.
Read more about the 12 day tour ‘Awaken the Thunder Dragon‘ on the ICS Travel Group website.